So for those of you that do not know what a Warrior Dash is, here is their website: http://www.warriordash.com/ . Basically, it is a fun run that is usually about 3 miles and has tons of obstacles involved. They take place all around the country. There is one in Illinois, just outside of Joliet, that Mike and our friends Megan, Tom, Jenny and Dan did last year and they had a blast. I, of course, stayed on the sidelines and enjoyed a beer with them afterwards. (When you participate, you get a token for a free beer afterwards.) Since my left leg is made of metal, I am not really supposed to be high-impact on it. Believe it or not, the metal will break....I've done it before. The metal is basically my bone, so if that breaks, I kind of can't walk. Also, it's like a tuning fork in there. If you hit it in the wrong place or if I land on my foot too hard, I can feel it shoot through my bone and that is not a pain anyone should have!
So given this information, I have never participated in something like a Warrior Dash. It includes running - which is high impact. But I try to jog a little bit here and there when I get a burst of motivation. I can't go very far. Not only is my leg much weaker than my right leg, but I have never been in great cardio shape. I have never run a mile, even in high school. I could never usually go a full lap around the track without feeling like I was going to throw up. As I have gotten older and learned more, though, I have also learned about my body and what it can do and how to do it. Therefore....I signed up for the Dash this year. I had a little push from Megan who sent me a text the other day to ask if I was going to sign up. I was just going to be quiet about it and let it slide, but how is that going to help all of my New Year's goals?? So, thanks to that little push, I talked to Mike about the obstacles and what he thought I could and could not do, and we decided I should try! I can always walk around an obstacle if it will be too much impact on my leg. (Although, the first time I broke my metal leg, all I was doing was walking on it, so.....)
So anyway, at 10:30am on June 17 I will be participating in my first Warrior Dash. I am excited and nervous all at the same time and I hope it goes well so I can do more! I warned Megan that I may have to walk most of it, and she said she doesn't care, she'll walk with me if that means I am doing it. I'm lucky to have an encouraging friend like her! I hope more of our friends sign up and do it with us!!
No comments:
Post a Comment