Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Kindergarten is Home

Last semester, we had a 4-week practicum in a Kindergarten classroom.  I was in an a.m. class from 9:25-12:25.  Before this practicum, every time someone asked me what grade I wanted to teach, I always said first or second.  Not anymore.  On my first day in Kindergarten I fell in love!  When I am in that classroom I feel like I am one of them, like I am at home.  


I thrive on structure for some reason and that is something that Kindergartners absolutely need.  They need to have a routine every day and they need to know what's coming.  My mother-in-law once told me a story about how she was substitute teaching in Kindergarten once and made the kids cry because she did not do the morning meeting correctly.  I understand those kids!!  I also like to follow the rules...a little too much if you ask my husband...and Kindergartners need that as well!  In fact, they will be the first to tell you when someone is even remotely not following the rules.  Besides these things, the kids are just so darn cute!  They have the whole world ahead of them and they can't wait to explore it!  I learned just as much from the kids as I did from the cooperating teachers.  


Since my practicum ended in November, I have volunteered in the same classroom at least once a week and will continue at least through this school year.  I just couldn't bear to say good-bye to them, and every time I walk in the room, they are so excited to see me and can't wait to give me a hug and tell me what has happened since I saw them last.  That makes me feel good, especially when they tell me about something that I taught them -- even if it is just how to zip their coat.  I almost always leave there each time with a drawing or project that one of them made for me during free play.  


Last month there was a substitute teacher there while I was there and good thing I was there!  She leaned on me so much since I already knew the kids and their schedule and how the school works.  I really felt important that day, especially because the kids all came to me for everything they needed instead of going to the sub.  


I am learning so much just by being in the classroom as much as I am.  I am not designing lesson plans for these kids anymore or teaching them their lessons, but I am present.  I am in the room and watching and listening.  I am there to help check their work when they are done.  I am there to answer questions.  I am there to help prep future projects. I hope to someday have my own Kindergarten classroom.   I will take all of this knowledge with me into that classroom and I have that Kindergarten teacher to thank for it.  I am so grateful she is allowing me spend my time there.  I am learning, I am loving it, and I feel at home!  



No comments:

Post a Comment