Today was one of those days where you hear song after song that rush back memories! Isn't music funny in that way? You can hear even a couple notes of a song and it brings you to a whole different place in time. I guess the same goes for some smells or certain people's voices too. But today was about music. I guess it started out this morning while I was listening to Pandora and doing homework and "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison came on. My sister and I both have brown eyes and for as long as I can remember I have always thought of her when I heard that song. Now we have this thing where we contact the other one whenever we hear the song and say where it is playing. (I think I do it more than her...) So this morning, of course, I tweeted to her that I was listening to it on Pandora. (P.S. If you have Twitter and want to follow her, she is @danidoeshair. She is quite witty sometimes!) When we are together, we will dance to the song. Mostly at weddings is what I remember - my own wedding, our dad's, our cousin's, etc. This time I thought of us dancing at our dad's wedding almost two years ago in Puerto Vallarta. It was so much fun!
I then began thinking of other songs that bring back memories. I thought of "You Are My Sunshine", which my late grandpa (Papa) used to always sing to me. He was my favorite person in the world so it makes me sad to hear it and think of him, but then I cannot help but be happy because there are only happy memories of him. This song is one of them.
Another song from my childhood is "You Are So Beautiful" by Joe Cocker. I have this cassette tape of my late great-aunt Anne 'interviewing' me when I was around 3 or 4. One of the things she had me do on tape is sing this song. When I sing it I say, "you are so bootiful" and I really emphasize the "meeeeeee." It's super cute if you ask me! Aunt Anne was an amazing woman and is sorely missed. Anyway, that is what I think of every time I hear that song.
Evanescence has some songs that remind me of Mike. For some reason he used to like to hear me sing along with their songs because he thinks I sound like Amy Lee. I think he's crazy because I'm tone deaf and he must have realized that because he doesn't ask anymore. Either way, I love a couple of their songs and think of him/us each time I hear them.
There are so many other songs that I could list that bring back memories - of friends, past relationships, events, and a lot of family - but I'll keep it short and sweet. I am sure everyone else has a similar list of their own songs. It's kind of fun to go back in time just from one little song. I hope to make more memories with more songs and someday pass along those stories to my kids!
No comments:
Post a Comment