Sunday, February 12, 2012

Book Review: Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain

I recently read Portia de Rossi's autobiography called "Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain."  If you know anything about me, you know I love Ellen DeGeneres, and since she is married to Portia, she obviously talked about the book on her show all of the time.  Naturally, I became interested.  It sounded like a wonderful, emotional story about Portia's struggle with anorexia.  I purchased the book in an airport on my way to Chicago one day and was really excited about it!  I couldn't wait to be drawn in to her story.  


I must say I was a little bit disappointed.  It wasn't as emotionally grasping as I thought it was going to be.  Don't get me wrong - it was emotional and I felt awful for her, but I feel like it was a little slow going.  I do appreciate the struggles she went through to be the person that she is today.  She seems as if she is just the sweetest, kindest person ever.  I am glad that she has found peace and is happy with her life now.  I am also glad that she has shared her story with the world because I know that it will help plenty of people that are struggling with an eating disorder.  They will relate to Portia as they read her story and hopefully feel that they are not alone, and maybe even realize that they have a problem that they need help with.  


For my first Blogger Book Review....I will rate the book a 3 out of 5.  

No comments:

Post a Comment